We understand that certain emergency or other medical circumstances may not allow for the accommodation of the goals listed below.
Home Labor Goals
- We would like to labor at home as long as possible, with our doula present, before going to the hospital.
Hospital Labor Goals
- We plan to have present at the birth and/or labor:
- We ask that all other visitors and unnecessary staff be turned away until we (mom and dad) have had time alone with our new baby.
- I prefer not to have catheter unless determined to be required for another procedure to facilitate delivery.
- The birth environment is important to us. We ask that lights be kept dim, noise be kept to a minimum, be able to play soothing music, door kept closed for privacy.
- I would like to wear my own clothing, although the staff may offer a hospital gown.
- I would like the opportunity to be up out of bed as much as possible during labor.
- I would like the option to eat when desired.
- I prefer a monitoring method that allows me to remain mobile.
- We are attempting to have a natural, unmedicated birth without unnecessary medical intervention.
- We understand that there are procedures which may become necessary.
- Except in the case of an emergency, we ask that we be given the opportunity to accept or refuse any procedure or medication.
- We request that the least invasive or restricting versions of procedures be used.
Induction (if necessary)
- We ask that non-chemical induction methods be tried first: walking, breast stimulation, sexual intercourse.
Pain Management Goals
- We plan to handle pain with relaxation, massage, fitness ball, changing positions, walking breathing, and/or water (shower or tub).
- I would like to push at my own pace (Mother-Directed Pushing).
- I prefer not to have an episiotomy unless determined to be medically necessary. I would first like to try perinea massage, support and warm compresses.
- If labor or delivery seems stalled, we would like the opportunity to try different positions (hands and knees, squatting, birth stools, etc.)
- We would like to have the baby placed on the mother’s chest with skin-to-skin contact immediately after the birth and for the first 1 to 2 hours following the birth.
- We would like to try to have the baby breastfeed as soon as possible.
- We would like the staff to help the mother change position if necessary to facilitate breastfeeding.
- Please do not cut the cord immediately. We would like to delay a bit after birth before this is done.
- Please offer the father the opportunity to cut the cord.
Newborn Care Goals
- We would like to be present at the baby’s first bath.
Circumcision (if boy)
- We would like at least one parent to be present at the circumcision.
Cesarean Section (if medically necessary)
- I would like to be conscious
- We would prefer that our baby breastfeed immediately or as soon as possible afterward in the recovery room.
- We prefer the baby and father remain in the recovery room with the mother.
Birth Recovery Goals
- We prefer to have a private room, if available, and that the father and baby be allowed to room-in.
- We would like to establish breastfeeding. please do not offer any bottles to the baby without parental notification of a medical need.
- We would like to meet with a lactation consultant before leaving the hospital to have techniques checked.
Thank you for taking the time to help us achieve a natural childbirth for our first baby!